Should you replace you roof this year?
Replacing a roof is a large expense, but not all visible damage means a whole roof replacement is immediately required. In the Ottawa region, if the shingles on your roof are 10 years or older you should have it inspected. If you're not sure of the age of the roof here are some signs that you might need some roof work done or a roof replacement.
1. Blown off shingles: Blown off shingles does not necessarily mean your roof is due for a complete re-roof but it is definitely an emergency situation that needs to be addressed immediately. Bare spots are not protected at all from the elements and a simple spring shower can cause major leaks. Have your roof inspected at the same time as the repair.
2. Shingles curling or buckling: This usually occurs where you have the most sun exposure. If you see this on your roof it usually means the shingles tar line seal has been broken which leaves your roof vulnerable. Have a professional come look at it before winter so you don't have a spring surprise.
3. Shingles granular in your gutters: This also a very good sign that the roof's lifespan is almost over. Discoloration of the shingles is another way to tell this is happening.
4. Wet or weakened spots on your roof decking: Open your attic hatch and have a look, if you see buckling of the plywood, dampness of your insulation or even light coming through, this usually means that water has already infiltrated. Don't wait until water has come through the drywall to do something about it.
5. Roof metal valleys: These areas are the most concerning as they are more susceptible to infiltration; if you see curling or deterioration in these areas please have a professional come look at it.
This list is a very good place to start when assessing your roofs needs, but remember if you have any doubt don’t hesitate to call us for a free evaluation.